Sunday, June 15, 2008

11th Sunday in Ordinary Time- Reflections

After the 9 day Novena to St. Anthony of Padua, the Lord blessed our Secular Franciscan Fraternity with a beautiful Mass for the profession of Johnathon & Danielle on June 13, the Feast of St. Anthony. Our celebrant was our Spiritual Assistant, and music by our TOR Sisters. I believe our newly professed have soared to 'new Franciscan' heights. Praise God!

Now to reflect on today's Mass readings. The opening prayer: Almighty God, our hope and our strength, without you we falter, help us to follow Christ and to live according to your will. In the 1st Reading from Exodus, I was struck with the words; "you have seen how I treated the Egyptians and how I bore you up on eagle's wings and brought you here to myself. Therefore, if you hearken to my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my special possession, dearer to me than all other people, though all the earth is mine. You shall be to me a kingdom of priests, a holy nation."

Our God sets us apart for his own, to be his people, how he has guarded us, protected us, and calls us to holiness. From eternity, the Father has longed to gather his children into one body living under the headship of his Son, he works to fulfill this plan. Third Eucharistic Prayer "from age to age you gather a people to yourself so that from east to west a perfect offering may be made to the glory of your name."

Responsorial Psalm 100 R. We are his people: the sheep of his flock.

2nd Reading: Romans 5:6-11
But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

Gospel: Matthew 9 ------Jesus' heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.

One thing I seek: to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
(Ps 27:4)

Have a Blessed Sunday and week!

No comments: